Thursday, November 12, 2015

I'm wicked bad at this updating thing.

OK, well. First things first. NaNoWriMo is an absolute fail this year. I'm 20,000 words behind and I doubt I'll catch up. I'll keep plugging at it, but I doubt I'll make 50K. It kinda hurts my heart a little, but I've been sitting on this project for so long, I feel like it needs a nice refresh/rehash before I work on it extensively. Maybe this failed NaNo will give it a breath of fresh air and I'll keep working on it past November and get at least SOMETHING done.

My intentions were good.
Set myself up at the library, no internet, no cat, no distractions but...

20,000 words behind as of today.

Next, I'm going to reach my book goal of 50 books read this year. (Technically, it's more like 45, because some I could just not finish, and a couple books counted as one because they came bound in an anthology.) It's a great feeling knowing that I've always had something to dive into. I'd prefer to be able to write anywhere rather than resort to reading, but it's a different kind of escape. If I'm writing, I'm god to that world, and I need to be as focused as possible. If I'm reading, it's a bit different. I can dive in and out and not be responsible for the story. Not feel like the characters and their world is depending on me to give them life. MY BRAIN IS WEIRD, OK.

I've got this shelf, right? And on this shelf, I put tangible copies of books I am greatly inspired by, and will NEVER give away.  There is space on this shelf for other books I read that I adore, and it is a place of great honor. (I'm going to need a second and potentially third one.) Occupying this shelf, are a couple books I read this year that I never will/am not ready to give away, and will always recommend.I'm only going to cover what I read this year, the rest are kinda just there.


Protected by Saushkin. And yes, that's his sword. 
That I borrow for belly dancing.

If you don't want to read this babble, here's a link to my reading challenge.

First, The Rogues of the Republic. Patrick Weekes' trilogy came to a close this year, the second book released late last year, and the last book being released on 10/27 this year. Yes, I finished them both in less than two days after their respective releases. It's a wonderful story, it's beautiful, and I adore it. The covers are gradients of purple, red, and green, and they're a joy to look at. If you like Firefly or Farscape, but would prefer more of a magical/fantastical Dragonage-y twist to those worlds, this series is for you.

Second, City of Stairs, book one of the The Divine Cities, by Robert Jackson Bennett. City of Blades comes out in January, and I've preordered it for my shelf of fame as well as my kindle. Reading it made me think of a fantasy Russia crime drama. It was a bit slow at first, but truly a wonderful read once I got into the world and the characters. I want a Sigurd for my birthday, and eagerly anticipate the second book.

Third, I've got The Plucker by Brom. This is one of his better stories, and the creepy artistic take on childhood toys was an absolute joy. I considered giving it to a gorelesque performer friend of mine for her birthday, but I was reluctant to part with it. I purchased The Devil's Rose, also by Brom, to read soon as well. Again, I don't read him for his writing, more for the partnering of the writing and his illustrations.

I randomly picked up a YA fantasy book from the library called "Vessel" thinking it would help to inspire my NaNo project set in a desert. And it did, a little, but it moreso had me captivated with a wonderful female lead who struggles with a higher purpose, and her own life. She treks across the world so save other Vessels, rejected by their gods for an unknown reason, and therefore cast out by their families. It's a great stand alone story that has a satisfying end, with potential for continuation, though at this point it seems unlikely, and it's definitely worth reading.

That's it for what I read this year on my shelf, unless you count Killing Pretty, but obviously anything Kadrey does is immediately up there. Here on out are the highlights of this year in reading.

While I don't own the entire Clockwork Dagger Duology in tangible copies, I did buy both main story ebooks, as well as the short estories in the same 'verse, because they're a great steampunky chicky universe that differs from my usual taste, but was executed so well I couldn't NOT read it all, and eventually support Beth Cato for her work. Harper Voyager granted me both an ARC and an eARC for all books in this series.

I also don't own the entire Oracle Prophecies series; I got the first book at a thrift store and continued with the series after I finished it in about half a day. And while it wasn't the best series I've read, it kept my attention, and I plan on buying and gifting it to my younger cousin who's on her way to bookwormhood. :D

I read the first three books of The Falling Kingdoms, and while enjoyable, it felt like "Let's write a Game of Thrones for 14 year old girls!" Which isn't a bad thing. I read all of the released books and plan to finish the series, its just not my usual cup of tea, Definitely worth checking out if you're into that kind of thing.

I also read The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch, and while the projected seven books intended for the series seems a bit much, as the second book was a little drawn out and slow in comparison to the first, the third was very flashback heavy and seemed to be an obligatory Sabetha involvement story, I'm interested to see where things go. I've got this series on my radar.

I also read the Lunar Chronicles, mostly because supposedly there's movie rights and production plans being thrown about. I'm not a OMG YA FICTION YAY person, because again, very teenage drama/romance driven, but it was an interesting twist on old fairy tales reworked into a sci-fi setting. I'm waiting for my library to have Winter available to finish out the series I have no interest in reading Fairest. I liked the series, but no enough to care about the Lunar Queen's backstory.

I also got access to the Electric Empire series through Harper Voyager; Diabolical Miss Hyde and Devious Dr. Jekyll. Both interesting Victorian era steampunk crime dramas with a touch of classic literature references thrown in. While the language is a little elevated at times, it's still a decent read. My mother is even interested in reading it, since I bought her tangible copies for her birthday.

I powered through Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire hating Jorg with every page. But I continued because I got the sense that you're supposed to hate the son of a bitch. It didn't garner any sympathy or respect, and the ending twist felt rather forced and out of left field, but if you're into antiheroes, butchery, and medieval fantasy with a secret, then sure, look into it.

I found Book Outlet, and my god. I've stockpiled enough books to keep  busy for literally years.

This isn't even all of them. Just the ones I got "for my birthday."

But I found this series, called Ilario, that I really, really wanted to like. It's about an actual hermaphrodite and how their existence is a threat to the royal court, so their parents are trying to have them murdered. All Ilario wants to do is paint and keep breathing. #lifegoals, right? I had hoped for more gender fuckery and exploration than oh, yeah, Ilario's both. Meh. The writing is kind of boring, and incredibly drawn out. I don't reallycare about any of the characters or what happens to them, but I'm about halfway through the second book, and since there were only two parts I figured I might as well finish it. I've had no qualms about putting it on hold for NaNo, so that really says all I need to about whether or not I particularly enjoyed it.

Probably won't update until next year, lots of reading to do, and writing that I SHOULD be doing. This was a long one. I'm sorry.

TL:DR I read books. Some were good. Others were meh. I've got more. NaNo's probably a wash this year.

CARRY ON.
- RaRa out.

No comments:

Post a Comment